Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Crazy Things We Can Put In The Washing Machine


Ok, so maybe I'm behind the curve on this, but I'm a little shocked at the number of things you can stick in the washing machine to get clean. Maybe it's having grown up in a throw-away society, I'm not sure.

For instance, we have a simple clear plastic shower curtain liner that we use. Well, needless to say, it gets grungy from soap scum, etc, every so often. Up until recently, we'd just sorta wash it by hand every now and then and when it got to the point where that wasn't enough, we'd trash it and get a new one. Well, the last time my mom was here, she mentioned that we should just toss it in the washer. I was (strangely) shocked. So, I did it, with a little dish soap and some bleach. It came out practically perfect! I was so excited. Anyway, I'm saying this is both frugal AND green because although I used a touch of bleach, it's certainly better for the environment than getting a new plastic one every year or two!

Other things that I've tried in the washer that you might not think to put in there:
  • sneakers
  • slippers
  • bath toys
  • the bath mat (maybe this is too obvious)
  • stuffed animals



No comments: